What is this benefit?
Lost Luggage Reimbursement provides reimbursement for your Checked Luggage or Carry-on Baggage and/or its contents if they are either lost by the Common Carrier or stolen while you are on a Covered Trip. The limit for reimbursement is up to two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) maximum per Trip, and one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) maximum per registered cardholder.
Please Note: You must take all reasonable means to protect, save and/or recover your Checked Luggage and/or Carry-on Baggage at all times.
Who is eligible for this benefit?
You are eligible if you charge a Covered Trip to your valid Visa TravelMoney card issued in the United States. Only the Checked Luggage or Carry-on Baggage of the validly registered cardholder is covered.
What is the effective date?
This benefit is available as of the valid registration date of your card through the card expiration date embossed on the card.
What is covered?
The value of your Checked Luggage and Carry-on Baggage and/or its contents are covered up to two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) maximum per Trip, and one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) maximum per registered cardholder, provided the luggage or contents are lost due to theft or misdirection by the Common Carrier.
This benefit is supplemental to and excess of any valid and collectible insurance and/or collectible reimbursement fro another source. This means that your reimbursement amount is determined by the difference between the “value of the amount claimed” and the amount of any other collectible reimbursement, such as payment from the Common Carrier. “Value of the amount claimed” is the lesser of the following three amounts: the original purchase price of the item(s), the actual cash value of the item(s) at the time of theft or misdirection (with appropriate deduction for depreciation), and the cost to replace the item(s).
What items or losses are not covered?
- Automobiles, automobile accessories and/or equipment, motorcycles, motors, boats, or other vehicles or conveyances
- Bicycles are excluded except when checked with the Common Carrier
- Contact lenses, eyeglasses, sunglasses, hearing aids, artificial teeth, dental bridges, and prosthetic limbs
- Money, securities, credit or debit cards, checks, and traveller’s cheques
- Tickets, documents (travel or otherwise), keys, coins, deeds, bullion, stamps, perishables, consumables, perfume, cosmetics, rugs and carpets, animals, cameras, sporting equipment, and household furniture
- Property shipped as freight or shipped prior to Trip departure date
- Items specifically identified or described in and insured under any other insurance policy
- Losses arising from confiscation or expropriation by any government or public authority or detention by customs or other officials
- Losses resulting from abuse, fraud, or hostilities of any kind (including, but not limited to, war, invasion, rebellion, or insurrection)
- Business Items, mobile telephones or art objects
Business Items means items that are used for the purchase, sale, production, promotion, or distribution of goods or services (including, but not limited to, manuals, computers and their accessories, software, data, facsimiles, samples, collateral materials, etc.).
Carry-on Baggage means the baggage which you personally carry onto the Common Carrier and for which you retain responsibility.
Checked Luggage means suitcases or other containers specifically designed for carrying personal belongings, for which you’ve been issued a claim check by the Common Carrier.
Common Carrier means any land, water, or air conveyance operated under a license for hire for the transportation of passengers and for which a ticket must be purchased prior to commencing travel. Common Carrier does not include taxis, limousine services, commuter rail, or commuter bus lines.
Covered Trip or Trip means a trip for which you charge the cost of transportation by Common Carrier to your eligible Visa card.
What should I do if my luggage or its contents are lost or stolen?
- Immediately notify the Common Carrier to begin their claims process.
- Notify the Benefit Administrator at 1-800-757-1274, If you are outside the United States, call one of our freephone numbers within twenty (20) days of the date the luggage was lost or stolen. The Benefit Administrator will answer your questions and send you a claim form.
- Follow the instructions below to file a claim.
Please Note: If you do not notify the Benefit Administrator within twenty (20) days of the date the luggage was lost or stolen, your claim may be denied.
How do I file a claim?
Complete the claim form you receive from the Benefit Administrator. Send it to the address provided along with the following items within ninety (90) days of the date of the incident:
- Proof of ticketing by the Common Carrier, including, but not limited to, itinerary, boarding pass, or used ticket stub
- A copy of any check, settlement, denial, or explanation of coverage issued by the Common Carrier along with a copy of the Common Carrier’s completed claim form, a list of the items lost and their value, and a copy of the luggage claim check (if applicable)
- A copy of your Visa TravelMoney statement showing that your card was valid and registered to you on the date the luggage or its contents were lost or stolen
- A copy of your primary insurance policy's Declarations Page to confirm your deductible. “Declarations Page” means the document(s) in your insurance policy that lists names, coverages, limits, effective dates and deductibles.
- A signed, sworn proof of loss or affidavit as requested by the Benefit Administrator
- Any other documentation deemed necessary by the Benefit Administrator to substantiate the loss or theft
For faster filing or to learn more about Lost Luggage Reimbursement visit www.eclaimsline.com
Do I have to file a claim with my insurance company?
Yes. If you have personal insurance (i.e., homeowner’s, renter’s, or other insurance applicable to the lost or stolen luggage or contents), you are required to file a claim with your insurance company and submit a copy of any claim settlement with your claim form. If the claim amount is within your personal insurance deductible, the Benefit Administrator may, at its option, deem a copy of your personal insurance Declarations Page to be sufficient.
Transference of Claims
After the Benefit Administrator has paid your claim of loss or theft under this reimbursement benefit, all your rights and remedies against any party in respect of this loss or damage will be transferred to the Benefit Administrator to the extent of the payment made to you. You must give the Benefit Administrator all assistance as may reasonably be required to secure its rights and remedies.
ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS FOR LOST LUGGAGE REIMBURSEMENT
Lost Luggage Reimbursement is supplemental to and excess of any other valid and collectible avenue of recovery that is available to you, the eligible Visa TravelMoney cardholder. The Benefit Administrator will refund the excess amount once all other reimbursement has been exhausted up to the limit of liability.
This benefit is available only to you, the eligible Visa TravelMoney cardholder. You shall use due diligence and do all things reasonable to avoid or diminish any loss to property protected by this benefit. This provision will not be applied unreasonably to avoid claims.
If you make any claim knowing it to be false or fraudulent in any respect, no coverage shall exist for such claim and your benefits may be canceled. Each Visa TravelMoney cardholder agrees that representations regarding claims will be accurate and complete. Any and all relevant provisions shall be void in any case of fraud, intentional concealment, or misrepresentation of material fact.
No legal action for a claim may be brought against the Provider until sixty (60) days after the Provider receives Proof of Loss. After the expiration of two (2) years from the time written Proof of Loss was to be provided, no action may be brought to recover on this benefit. Further, no legal action may be brought against the Provider unless all the terms in the Guide to Benefits have been complied with fully.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement is provided to registered cardholders of U.S. issued Visa TravelMoney cards at no additional cost. The terms and conditions of the Lost Luggage Reimbursement may be modified by subsequent endorsements. Such modifications may be provided via additional mailings, statement inserts, or statement messages. Lost Luggage Reimbursement will not apply to registered Visa TravelMoney cardholders whose accounts have been suspended or canceled.
Termination dates may vary by financial institutions. Your financial institution may cancel or non-renew the benefit, and if so, you will be will notified at least thirty (30) days in advance. This information is a description of the benefit provided to you as a registered Visa TravelMoney cardholder. Indemnity Insurance Company of North America (“Provider”) is the underwriter of this benefit and is solely responsible for its administration and claims. The Benefit Administrator provides services on behalf of the Provider.
FORM #VRELOLUG – 2013 (04/14) LUG-TM